Built on the site of former colliery spoil heaps on the edge of Murton, Dalton Park is one of the biggest outlet and leisure shopping centres in the North East, with over 60 retailers attracting over 2.5 million visitors each year.
The project sought to enhance the customer journey at Dalton Park Outlet Shopping Centre including extensive material enhancements to transform the retail park into a brighter, more modern space for its visitors.
The enhancements included:
- new flooring throughout the retail park;
- replacement of 47,000 sq ft of resin bond paving with paving stones and planting in the existing mall walkways;
- installation of additional lighting and lit signage to the mall to benefit existing retail units;
- replacement of Trespa cladding to 60 existing retail units providing new signage and lighter panels;
- upgrading the existing restroom facilities;creating additional visual impact with the introduction of LED lighting and sympathetic planting to the mall entrance;
- construction of canopies to 60 units to complement new cladding and improve outward aesthetic of retail units;
- painting the canopy structure; and
- upgrades to the external landscaping.
Works were organised to minimise disruption which allowed the entire park to remain open throughout. During the delivery of Dalton Park, Tolent endeavoured to engage with local supply chain partners who have an affinity with the community. As a result, a total of 92% of the overall subcontract value was spent with local subcontractors, with 86% of all subcontractors used being based within 20 miles of the site.